Nice Spice Dog Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
cup water or more if needed
- Stir together flours, cornmeal, dry milk powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
in a large bowl.
- Add egg, then begin adding water gradually, stirring with a wooden
- Add just enough water to produce a very stiff dough. If you add too much
water and dough is no longer stiff, add a little more flour.
- Knead the dough with
your hands to create a smooth texture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out dough 1/4-inch thick. (It helps if the top and bottom of the dough are
lightly floured.) Use a cookie cutter to cut out the biscuits.
- Place biscuits about
1/2 inch apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to 1
hour. The biscuits should be lightly browned and should not be moist inside.
off oven and leave biscuits inside without opening oven door for 5 hours, or overnight,
to let them harden.
- Store in an airtight container.
Source: recipe by Berkeley County Humane Society