Naples Chocolate Cheese Pie
Chocolate Crumb Crust
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package chocolate wafers, crushed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Chocolate Crumb Crust: Mix the crumbs, butter and sugar until blended. Press the mixture
firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9 1/2-inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Chocolate Filling: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt chocolate and set it aside to cool slightly.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a food processor or mixer bowl and process
or beat at high speed until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cut the cream cheese in chunks, and process or beat it in until well mixed.
- Add the chocolate and blend it in well, then the vanilla extract, salt
and sour cream. Pour the filling into the crumb crust.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, but
- Set the pie on a rack to cool, then refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream, or set each wedge of the pie on a pool
of custard sauce flavored with vanilla, brandy or orange-flavored
liqueur on the dessert plate.