Banana Custard Cobblers
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons (34 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 6 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
- Custard: Whisk sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks in large bowl to
- Bring milk and vanilla bean to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into egg yolk mixture; return mixture to saucepan.
Whisk over medium-low heat until custard boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in butter and rum. Cool slightly.
- Discard vanilla bean. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until cold.
(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- Topping: Blend flour, almonds and brown sugar in processor to mix.
- Add butter and process, using on/off turns, until coarse crumbs
form. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to bowl; cover and chill.)
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Place eight 1-cup ramekins or custard cups on baking sheet.
- Divide custard equally among ramekins, using about cup for each.
- Top each dessert with about 8 banana slices.
- Spoon topping over banana slices, dividing equally.
- Bake cobblers until topping is golden brown, about
- Remove from oven and cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 575 calories; 29.6 g fat (14.4 g saturated fat;
46 percent calories from fat); 66.9 g carbohydrates; 270 mg cholesterol;
61 mg sodium; 9.3 g protein; 2.4 g fiber
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cobbler Recipes