Good and Gooey Peach Cobbler
- 12 to 14 ripe peaches, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
teaspoon powdered ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together all the filling ingredients. Set the filling aside to draw out the
- While the filling sits, melt the butter in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, either
in the oven or on the stove.
- In another bowl, make the batter. Stir together flour, sugar, and baking powder,
and add the milk. Mix until lightly blended. Spoon the mixture evenly over the melted
butter. Don't stir it — that would preclude the development of crunchy edges.
- Pour the peach filling evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. As the cobbler cooks, the batter will ooze up and around
the fruit, creating a moist, golden brown crust.
- Serve the cobbler warm, preferably with vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry and Rhubarb Cobbler: In place of peach filling, combine 1 1/2 pounds
of rhubarb (cut in 1-inch chunks), 2 1/2 to 3 pints strawberries (halves), 3/4 to
1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons ground aniseed, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and the
zest and juice of 1 medium orange.