Sweet Potato Cobbler
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, uncooked
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Dumplings or Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Milk or water
- Peel and slice potatoes thin; cover with water and cook until tender.
Reserve liquid for pie.
- Dumplings or Crust: Mix flour, salt, shortening and enough milk or
water to make a stiff dough. Use a floured board and roll very thin.
Cut into strips.
- Filling: Using a deep pan, put in half of potatoes, butter, sugar and spices.
- Cover with a layer of pastry.
- Place remaining half of potato mixture
on top of pastry and top with another layer of pastry.
- Sprinkle with sugar, nutmeg and butter (mixed together). Use enough liquid
to make juicy. Test for sweetness.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until golden.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cobbler Recipes