Key Lime Angel Pie
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated Key lime peel
- 1 baked Meringue Pie Shell
- Beat egg yolks, milk, lime juice and lime peel in medium heavy saucepan until
blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly but gently, until mixture is just
thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and temperature reaches 160
degrees F, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat immediately.
- Cool quickly: Set pan in larger pan of ice water; stir occasionally and gently
for a few minutes to hasten cooling.
- Press piece of plastic wrap onto surface of
custard to prevent a "skin" from forming.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled,
at least 1 hour.
- Spread lime custard evenly in meringue pie shell before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream, lime slices and fresh mint.
- Refrigerate pie, covered, several hours or overnight, to develop full flavor
and to soften the meringue.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
Substitution: If Key limes are not available, use regular limes. For neat slices,
dip knife into glass of water, letting excess water drip off, before each cut.
Nutrition Information Per Serving calories: 264 total fat: 6g saturated fat:
3g polyunsaturated fat: 0g monounsaturated fat: 2g cholesterol: 86mg sodium: 87mg
carbohydrates: 48g dietary fiber: 0g protein: 6g vitamin A: 232.1IU vitamin D: 16.9IU
folate: 16.8mcg calcium: 152.8mg iron: 0.3mg choline: 88.6mg
Reprinted with permission from
the American Egg Board.