This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in 1 1/2-quart saucepan.
- Stir in water gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir at least half of hot mixture gradually into egg yolks. Blend into hot mixture in
saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine, lemon peel, lemon juice and food color.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling.
- Bake until delicate brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool away from draft.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
Do not under-beat.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Spread over filling carefully, sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking