Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in 1 1/2-quart saucepan.
- Stir in water
gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir at least half of
hot mixture gradually into egg yolks. Blend into hot mixture in
saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine,
lemon peel, lemon juice and food color.
- Pour into pie shell.
meringue onto hot pie filling.
- Bake until delicate brown, about
- Cool away from draft.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar,
1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
Do not under-beat.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Spread over filling
carefully, sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.