Make it a fiesta with this party-perfect margarita pie. Flavored with fresh limes
and oranges (and an added kick of optional tequila), this refreshingly sweet filling
is complemented by a salty pretzel crust.
- 1 cup crushed mini pretzels
- 6 tablespoons melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 envelope (7 grams)
- 1 (12 ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup (4 to 5 medium limes)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or orange-flavored
- 1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed,
- Coarse sanding sugar, fresh lime slices
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine pretzel crumbs,
butter and sugar in 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Press crumb mixture
onto bottom and upsides of pie plate.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- For Filling: Place gelatin in small bowl; stir in water. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Heat evaporated milk, sugar and softened gelatin in small saucepan over medium heat,
stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot (do not boil). Pour into medium
- Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes until cool to touch.
- Add lime peel, lime
juice, orange peel, orange juice and tequila; mix well.
- Gently whisk in 1 cup whipped
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Pipe remaining 1 cup whipped topping around edge of pie. Sprinkle whipped topping
border with coarse sugar.
- Garnish with lime slices.
Makes 8 servings
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Time: 2 hrs 30 mins refrigerating
* 3 cups (4 ounces) mini pretzels will be needed to get 1 cup crushed.
* To save time, you may substitute a store-bought 10-inch (9 ounces) Graham
crumb crust for pretzel pie shell.
* If you do not own a pastry bag, a resealable heavy-duty plastic bag can be
used. Cut corner of bag and pipe out whipped topping as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 350 Calories
from Fat: 140 Total Fat: 15 g Saturated Fat: 11 g Cholesterol: 40 mg Sodium: 400
mg Carbohydrates: 49 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 34 g Protein: 5 g
Reprinted with permission from
Nestlé® and Meals.com.