My Better Half Pie
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons powdered cocoa
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 baked 8-inch piecrust
- Layer bottom of piecrust with 1/2 cup chopped Macadamia nuts before
- In medium saucepan, stir together 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt,
and 3 cups half and half; blend in eggs. Cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla extract. Pour 1 1/2
cups cream filling into a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Pour coconut filling into baked pie crust.
- Stir together cocoa, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons half-and-half;
blend into remaining filling in saucepan. return to heat; heat to
just boiling, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Pour over coconut filling.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold.
- Just before serving, top with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted
flaked coconut and chocolate curls.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 30, 2001.