Old-Fashioned Lemon Pie
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons, juiced, and rinds grated
- 1 baked pie shell
- Mix 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and butter. Let boil 3 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixed with remaining 1/2 cup water. Stir well.
grated rind of lemons and juice.
- Add egg yolks and stir well until
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff; add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, a
little at a time, to egg whites and fold one-third egg white mixture
into pie filling.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- Add cream of tartar to
remainder of egg white mixture to form meringue; cover pie with
- Bake for 15 minutes in oven preheated to 400 degrees F and
TURNED OFF before placing pie inside.
- Let pie remain in oven until
meringue is golden brown.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.