Peppermint Chiffon Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/3 cups Graham
cracker crumbs (about 18 crackers)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed peppermint stick candy
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 4 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Whipped cream
- Graham Cracker Crust: Heat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar, butter
and nutmeg or cinnamon. Blend until crumbly. Reserve 1/3 cup of
the crumbs to sprinkle on top of the pie if desired.
- Press the remaining
crumbs evenly over the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie tin. Make
a small rim along the top.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges
are lightly browned.
- Allow to completely cool before filling.
- Filling: Soak the gelatine in the cold water.
- Meanwhile, scald the milk.
- Stir in the candy, sugar and salt.
the egg yolks to the milk mixture. Cook over a double boiler until
the mixture coats the spoon.
- Stir in the gelatine.
- Chill until syrupy.
- Fold the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
- Pour into the completely
cooled crumb crust.
- Chill until firm (about 3 hours).
- Serve with
whipped cream and the reserved crumbs.