Sour Orange Pie
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 level tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup sour orange juice
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, mix together the 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch, and
slowly pour in the hot water and butter, stirring to dissolve any
- Beat egg yolks lightly and add, along with the sour orange
juice. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture has
thickened and coats the spoon. Do not boil.
- Carefully pour the filling
into the baked pie shell.
- For the meringue, beat the egg whites until frothy. Continue to
beat, gradually adding the 3 tablespoons sugar, until the beater
holds stiff peaks when lifted.
- Gently swirl the meringue over the
filling, making sure it touches the edges of the crust all the way
- Bake until the meringue is brown.
- Remove from the oven and
cool on a rack.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.