Strawberry Banana Cream Pie
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 large or 2 small bananas
- Whipped cream (optional)
- In medium-size saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- In small bowl, blend together egg yolks and milk.
- Stir small amount
of milk mixture into dry ingredients, making a smooth paste.
blend in remaining milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil, stirring constantly,
1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Cool quickly
by setting pan in bowl of ice water and stirring.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup strawberry slices for garnish.
- Arrange remaining
strawberry slices in pie shell.
- Peel and slice bananas.
- Pour half
of the custard mixture over strawberries.
- Top with banana slices.
- Cover with remaining custard mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until
- Before serving, top pie with reserved strawberry slices.
with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.