Strawberry Cream Pie
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 2 1/2 cups fresh fruit
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Filling: Mix first 4 ingredients.
- Gradually stir in milk. Stir constantly and bring to boil. Reduce heat
and cook and stir until thick.
- Stir some of hot mixture in with the egg, then add back to hot
mixture. Bring just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Cool, then chill.
- Beat well and fold in whipped cream and vanilla extract.
- Pie: Use any fruit that is in season.
- Toast the almonds and sprinkle over the pie crust.
- Fill crust with Cream Filling.
- Add 2 cups of the fruit on top of the Cream Filling.
- Glaze: Crush remaining 1/2 cup of fruit. Add
water. Cook 2 minutes. Sieve.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually stir in fruit juice. Cook and stir till thick and clear.
- Optional: Add a few drops of food coloring at this point.
- Cool slightly and pour over fruit on pie.
- Keep cool until serving time.