Strawberry Pineapple Cream Pie
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 (3- or 3 1/8-ounce) box regular vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pasty
to 1/2 inch beyond edge. Flute edge; prick pastry.
- Bake in a 450
degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden. cool on rack.
- For filling, in saucepan cook pudding mix according to package directions
except use the 1 1/4 cups milk.
- Thoroughly drain pineapple, reserving
1/3 cup liquid. Fold drained pineapple and vanilla extract into
- Cover surface with clear plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Cool to room temperature; do not stir.
- Whip the 1/2 cup whipping cream till soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped
cream into pudding mixture.
- Turn the pineapple mixture into baked
- In saucepan crush 1/2 cup of the strawberries; stir in reserved
pineapple liquid. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2
minutes. Press hot mixture through sieve; discard pulp.
sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in sieved strawberry mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Tint the strawberry mixture with a little red food coloring if desired.
- Slice remaining strawberries in half lengthwise.
- Arrange sliced
berries over cream filling; spoon strawberry mixture over.
chill several hours.
- To serve, garnish pie with unsweetened whipped cream.