Triple-Threat Coconut Cream Pie
Try this version of an all-time favorite coconut pie! It certainly made the grade at a state fair pie competition.
- 1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk, shaken well
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sweetened shredded or flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split (or 1 teaspoon vanilla)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into four pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, well chilled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum (or 1 teaspoon vanilla)
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded or flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 ounce white chocolate, shaved
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Unroll pie crust onto cooking parchment or wax paper.
- Brush a small amount of coconut milk onto dough (just enough to moisten it).
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of the toasted coconut evenly on dough, then press it lightly into dough, just enough to make it stick.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon toasted coconut onto bottom of 9-inch pie plate, then form dough into plate.
- Prick bottom and side with fork.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Cool.
- Heat the remaining coconut milk, the whole milk, 1/2 cup toasted coconut, vanilla bean, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the salt to a simmer in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes to dissolve sugar.
- In a separate large bowl, with whisk, beat the egg yolks, remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch until well combined.
- Gradually beat the simmering liquid into the yolk mixture to temper it, then return the entire mixture to saucepan, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Discard vanilla bean.
- Heat the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, beating constantly with whisk, 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat; beat in the coconut extract and butter.
- Pour into the cooled crust; press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling and refrigerate until the filling is cold and firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, beat the cream and sugar in a chilled bowl using electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the rum and continue to beat until slightly stiff peaks are formed.
- Spread or pipe the whipped cream over the chilled filling.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup toasted coconut and shaved chocolate over the top.
- Store in the refrigerator.
After opening, bagged coconut is best stored for only up to 6 months.
Per serving: Calories 580 (Calories from Fat 370), Total Fat 41g (Saturated Fat 27g, Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 190mg; Sodium 270mg; Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 29g), Protein 5g
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 8 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Recipe by Angie Battle, Des Moines, Washington, State Fair Pie Competition 2010