Apple Pretzel Crisp with Wisconsin Aged Cheddar
- 1 2/3 cups crushed pretzel crumbs, divided (about 4 cups broken up pretzels)*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 8 cups Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced (about 1/8" thick)
- 2 1/2 cups natural unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp (Aged) Cheddar, finely shredded, divided
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Low fat yogurt, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine 2/3 cup pretzel crumbs, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon
- Add apple slices, tossing to coat well.
- Stir in applesauce and 1 cup of the Cheddar.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine remaining pretzel crumbs and cheese, brown sugar, remaining
cinnamon, lemon peel and butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until golden, bubbly and thick.
- Cool slightly before cutting.
- Serve warm or cold, topped with yogurt.
* To make the crumbs, place pretzel pieces on waxed paper. Cover with additional
waxed paper. Using a rolling pin, crush or roll until crumb consistency. Or, place
pretzel pieces in a food processor. Pulse until crumb consistency.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.