Rhubarb Crumble with Custard Sauce
Filling and Topping
- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup cold butter or margarine
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Cover and
cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb
is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and remaining sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over rhubarb.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Custard Sauce.
- Custard Sauce: Whisk the egg yolks and sugar; stir in cream. Cook and stir over
low heat until a candy thermometer reaches 160 degrees F and mixture
thickens, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in
- Serve warm over rhubarb crumble.
Yield: 12 servings (2 1/2 cups sauce)