- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cut shortening into dry ingredients
until mixture is the consistency of coarse meal.
- Combine vinegar and egg and add enough water to make 1 cup liquid.
- Add liquid to
dry ingredients and mix until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough and pat out with hands into desired shape on floured pastry cloth or
board or floured sheet of wax paper. Smooth with rolling pin.
- For baked shell, prick with a fork and bake at 450 degrees F for 12
to 15 minutes.
Yield: 5 or 6 (9-inch) crusts
Keeps several months in freezer tightly wrapped.