Nutty Unbaked Piecrust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground pecans (2 ounces)*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix flour, nuts and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry
blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mix egg yolk, 3 tablespoons ice water and the lemon juice in small
bowl. Add to flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly
and tossing with fork until moistened and dough just holds together.
- Add remaining ice water, if needed.
- Gather dough and shape into
1-inch thick disk.
- Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, rolling from center to
edge, to form a 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters; ease and unfold
into 9-inch pie plate. Press pastry gently against bottom and sides
of pie plate, easing out any air. Trim edge leaving 1/2-inch overhang.
Fold overhang under; flute edge.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 unbaked crust (9-inch)
* Ground almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts can be substituted for pecans.
This basic pastry dough can be used to make tart shells and quiche
crusts as well. Follow specific recipe for baking directions.
Pastry dough can be made in food processor.
Reprinted with permission from
the American Egg Board.