Spry Water Whip Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Spry (vegetable shortening)
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put Spry into medium mixing bowl. Add boiling water and milk and
break up Spry with fork. Tilt bowl and whip with fork or mixer until
smooth and thick like whipped cream and holds soft peaks when fork
- Sift flour and salt together into Spry mixture. Stir quickly with
round-the-bowl strokes, until dough clings together and cleans the
- Pick up and work into a smooth dough; shape into 2 flat rounds.
Roll in between wax paper or on floured pastry cloth or board.
Yield: two 9-inch pies or one 2-crust pie