- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- About 10 tablespoon ice water
- 3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch thick slices trimmed rhubarb (1 1/2 pounds untrimmed)
- 3 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a food processor or blender. Using the pulse
feature, cut in shortening and butter until a coarse meal forms. Blend in enough
ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, to form moist clumps. Gather dough into a ball;
cut in half. Flatten each half into a disk. Wrap separately in plastic wrap; refrigerate
until firm, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to blend.
- Roll out 1 dough disk on a floured work surface to a 13-inch round. Transfer
to a 9-inch diameter glass pie dish. Trim excess dough, leaving a 3/4-inch overhang.
- Roll out second dough disk on a lightly floured surface to a 13-inch round. Cut
into fourteen 1/2-inch wide strips. Spoon filling into crust. Arrange 7 dough strips
atop filling, spacing evenly. Form lattice by placing remaining dough strips in
opposite direction atop filling, trim ends of dough strips even with overhang of
bottom crust. Fold strip ends and overhang under, pressing to seal. Crimp edges
- Brush glaze over crust. Transfer pie to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bake pie until golden and filling thickens,
about 1 hour 25 minutes.
- Transfer pie to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Pie Recipes