Baked Alaska Fudge Pie
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, pre-baked
- 3/4 cup fudge sundae topping
- 1 1/2 quarts
(6 cups) softened vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon
cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Additional fudge topping for garnish
- Chill pastry shell thoroughly. Spread fudge topping on bottom of shell.
ice cream into large bowl and beat with mixer until softened.
- Spread over fudge.
- Put in freezer while preparing meringue.
- Whip egg whites in bowl until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating
until almost stiff.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy.
meringue over ice cream, making sure to cover edges of pie shell to seal well.
at 450 degrees F for 3 to 4 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
top with additional fudge.
- Place in freezer until ready to serve.
Pie can be made ahead, frozen, wrapped and held for several days. Brown
just before serving.
To serve flaming, ignite 1 to 2 tablespoons brandy or rum and pour over pie.