Barbecue Tamale Pie
Using packaged containers of prepared shredded barbecue speeds up this delicious
casserole which is a cross between a potpie and shepherd's pie.
- 2 (20 ounce) containers shredded barbecued pork, chicken or beef
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Spread the barbecue
in the prepared pan.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the milk, butter and egg in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir
just until combined.
- Drop cornmeal mixture over meat by spoonsful. Spread to cover completely.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until topping is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.