Best Chicken Pot Pie
This is an excellent recipe from the National Chicken Council.
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cubed or shredded
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9-inch) pie crusts, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Boil chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in chicken broth for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain and reserve chicken broth. Set aside broth and vegetables.
- Cook onions in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and
- Slowly add reserved broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place chicken and vegetables in one pie shell. Pour hot mixture into pie.
- Place second pie shell over pie, fold over edges, pinch edges with fork,
and prick holes in top.
- Bake in 425 degree F oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Chicken Council.