Chicken-Bacon Pot Pie
Bacon added to a chicken pot pie is a real taste treat. Fresh mushrooms are also a welcome addition to Chicken-Bacon Pot Pie.
- 2 Goofproof Cream Cheese Pie Crusts
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (5 ounce) baking potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small can peas, drained well (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces (1/2 of 8-ounce package) cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
- Prepare dough for
Goofproof Cream Cheese Pie Crust and refrigerate as
- Cook and stir bacon in Dutch oven or large deep skillet on medium heat
until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon; drain on paper
towels. Discard all but 2 teaspoons drippings from pan.
- Add vegetables (except for peas, if using) and garlic to reserved
drippings in pan; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas,
- Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in broth. Bring to boil. Add cream cheese; cook and stir
for 1 minute or until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well
- Remove from heat; stir in chicken and chipotle pepper, if using. Spoon
into 9-inch deep-dish pie plate sprayed with cooking spray; top with bacon.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out pie crust dough into a 10-inch round between 2 sheets of wax
paper; place over chicken mixture. Flute edge, sealing crust to edge of pie
plate. Cut several slits in crust to allow steam to escape. Place on baking
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown, covering edge of crust with
foil for the last 10 minutes if necessary to prevent over-browning.
- This pot pie can be assembled ahead of time. Wrap in foil, then freeze
up to 3 months.
- When ready to serve, unwrap and bake in 425 degrees F oven
for 1 hour 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is heated
through, covering edge of crust with foil strips before baking. There is no
need to thaw the pot pie first.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / FomaA