Chicken, Broccoli and Mushroom Pie
- 1 cup lightly packed shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped, cooked broccoli
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup lightly packed shredded Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- For crust: Using pastry blender, combine cheese, flour, salt, dry
mustard and melted butter. Press dough evenly into bottom and up
sides of a 10-inch pie plate.
- For filling: Sprinkle chicken breast lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 375 degrees oven for 25 minutes or until done.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into cubes; set aside. (You should have about 1 1/4 cups
- Melt butter in a skillet. Over medium heat, sauté onion and mushrooms
in butter 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in flour. Add cream,
1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Simmer 1
minute. (Mixture doesn't thicken.)
- Add broccoli, eggs and chicken cubes; blend well.
- Stir in Romano cheese. Set aside.
- Line crust with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Pour broccoli-chicken mixture into cheese lined crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F; bake 20 minutes or until set.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 18, 2001.