Chicken Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup sliced cooked carrots
- 6 small white onions, cooked
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sweet Potato Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Filling: Layer chicken, carrots, onions (quartered) and parsley
in greased 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Combine flour and a small amount
of milk in a saucepan, blending until smooth; gradually stir in
remaining milk and chicken broth.
- Place over low heat; cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add salt and pepper; pour sauce
over chicken and vegetables in the casserole.
- Cover with sweet potato
crust; bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
- Sweet Potato Crust: Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in
shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold sweet potatoes and egg, blending well.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured
surface to 1/4-inch thick.
- Place over chicken and vegetables in casserole.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by luvtocook at Recipe Goldmine 6/7/01 5:45:37 am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.