Chicken Pot Pie with Dill Biscuit Topping
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups carrots, sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dill Biscuit Topping
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or
- 1/2 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Combine the broth, parsley, onion, celery, carrots, and green beans
in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over high heat, reduce heat, and
simmer until vegetables are just barely tender.
- Add the peas.
- Stir together the flour and water in a small bowl until smooth.
Stir into the pot and simmer until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken and remove from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Let it cool,
then wrap, label, and freeze.
- For the topping, in a big bowl, mix together the flour, salt, dill,
and baking powder.
- Put the dry biscuit ingredients into a resealable
plastic freezer bag. Label and tape to the foil on the chicken dish.
- To serve: Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the thawed chicken mix in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the dry biscuit ingredients into a bowl.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Add the milk. Stir the dough just until it's mixed.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut
12 circles with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir the chicken mix.
- Place the biscuits on top
of the hot chicken mix and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until
the biscuits are golden.
Serves 8 to 10.