Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each paprika, dill and dry mustard
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 pounds de-boned and skinned chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup unsifted flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 chicken flavor bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli-green beans-pearl onions and red pepper combination, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Cornmeal Pastry: In food processor, mix flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt and the
spices; add the butter and shortening. Process until mixture resembles
- With motor running, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water so dough
forms a ball; remove; flatten slightly.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap;
chill 30 minutes.
- On lightly floured board, roll dough to a 16 x
14-inch rectangle. Cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips; weave together
tightly on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; wrap with plastic wrap.
- Filling: In large saucepan, cover chicken with cold water. Bring to boiling.
Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender.
- Place on a plate; cover, and refrigerate.
- Measure poaching liquid to make
3 cups; set aside.
- In same saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour,
and cook, stirring until boiling.
- Add poaching liquid, cream, bouillon
cubes, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to
boiling. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. Add to sauce with vegetables. Heat.
- Spoon into generously greased 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Invert pastry
over top of dish; remove foil. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch over edge
of casserole. Pinch pastry to form a rim. Crimp edges. Brush pastry
with beaten egg.
- Bake until pastry is golden-brown and filling is
bubbly — about 45 minutes. If pastry browns too quickly, cover with
aluminum foil during baking.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.