Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
You're only 30 minutes away from a fiesta of flavors in an easy ground beef,
- 1 pound extra lean (at least 93%) ground beef
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky Salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can (11 ounces) Green Giant® Mexicorn® corn, drained
- 1 pouch
Betty Crocker® loaded mashed potatoes (from 6.1 ounce box)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, sliced into thin wedges
- Tortilla chips, if desired
- In 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef and 1/4 cup of the green onions over medium-high
heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir in salsa, chili powder and cumin.
- Spoon corn evenly over beef mixture in
- Cover and cook over low heat until mixture is thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to boiling. Remove from
- Stir in milk and 1 pouch potatoes with seasoning just until bended.
- Let stand
about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed; beat with fork until smooth.
- Spoon potatoes over corn in skillet; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with cheese and
remaining 1/4 cup green onions.
- Cover; cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until
cheese is melted.
- Arrange tomato wedges in spoke fashion over potatoes.
- Garnish with tortilla chips
around outside edge of skillet.
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Total Time 30 Minutes
Makes 4 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker/© 2011 General Mills.