Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
Buttermilk pancake mix and cheddar cheese topped with almonds make the crust
on this delightful old-fashioned chicken pot pie. The filling is a mixture of three
cheeses, chicken, onion, celery, carrot, broccoli and cream of chicken soup.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (3 ounces) Wisconsin cream cheese,
softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup (about 1 ounce) freshly grated Wisconsin parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 cups cubed cooked
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1 cup packaged complete buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. For filling: In a large saucepan, combine the soup,
milk, onions, cheeses, celery, and carrot. Cook and stir until the mixture is hot
and the cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in the chicken and broccoli and, heat through.
Pour into an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- For pastry: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pancake mix and the shredded
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the egg, milk, and oil.
- Add to the
pancake mix; stir until well-combined.
- Spoon the pastry mixture over the hot chicken
- Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the chicken
mixture is bubbly around the edges.
Yield: 8 servings
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.