Phyllo Chicken Pot Pie
A very tender phyllo crust sits atop a meat pie laden with chicken, carrots,
celery, onions and peas.
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into quarters
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 cups carrots, medium diced
- 2 cups celery, medium diced
- 1/2 cup onions,
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 cups reserved chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 20 sheets Athens
Fillo® Dough (9" x 14"), thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place chicken, water and salt into 4-quart soup pot. Bring to a boil over high
heat, reduce heat to low and simmer chicken until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken, cool and dice 2 cups of meat. Strain chicken broth into fresh
- Simmer carrots in strained chicken broth until tender, remove and add to diced
- Repeat this procedure with onions and celery.
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour,
mix well, and cook for 1 minute.
- Then whisk in 2 cups of strained chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly,
and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In large bowl, place chicken, cooked vegetables, thawed peas, and chicken broth,
- Season with basil, salt and pepper.
- Cool completely and stir in
- To make pie, overlap 10 sheets of fillo in a 9-inch pie pan, buttering the sheets
as you layer them in the pie pan.
- Pour chicken mixture on fillo dough.
- Top with remaining 10 sheets, overlapping
the fillo and brushing each layer. Score top.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown
Let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
You may also bake in 8-inch small ovenproof ramekin dishes or bowls. Follow
the above instructions, overlapping the fillo and buttering them as you place into
the individual dishes.
Reprinted with permission from