Pork and Hash Brown Shepherd's Pie
Vary this vibrant and veggie-packed recipe by changing the type of mixed vegetables
you use—carrots, peas and green beans, for example, or mixed bell peppers. You can
also vary the herbs—try rosemary, thyme, oregano, and marjoram.
- 1 (2 pound) boneless pork sirloin roast, or pork sirloin chops, cut into 1/2-inch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups
- 4 cups mixed frozen vegetables, thawed
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups shredded frozen hashbrown potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Position oven rack about 8 inches from the broiler.
- In a small stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add pork and
cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook,
stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, stirring until smooth, and bring to a
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach, mixed vegetables, Italian seasoning,
and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer pork mixture to a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish, spreading it out evenly.
Arrange potatoes on top and bake until heated through, about 40 minutes. Turn on
the broiler and continue to cook until the potatoes are browned, about 5 minutes.
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 60 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
Nutritional Information: Calories: 370 calories Protein: 33 grams Fat: 8
grams Sodium: 340 milligrams Cholesterol: 70 milligrams Saturated Fat: 2 grams Carbohydrates:
42 grams Fiber: 4 grams
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.