Steak and Onion Pie
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of ground ginger
- Dash of ground allspice
- 1 pound round steak, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- Pastry for 9-inch pie
- Sauté onion in shortening; remove onion and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, ginger and allspice.
- Dredge steak in flour mixture. Brown meat in shortening.
- Add water. Cover
and simmer about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Stir in potatoes; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Place onion on top. Put
pastry over top and seal edges. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 25 minutes.