Turkey, Chicken or Ground Beef Tamale Pie
This tamale pie has a cornbread topping. For those of us who don't
know much about chiles, I recommend the nuanced flavor of Grandma's
ZESTY Chili Powder which has added spices and garlic but no salt.
I don't remember where I got this recipe but it was long ago
and certainly has been altered over the years. A quick and filling
- 1 large onion, chopped
- A little oil or margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 to 1 can (about 8 ounces drained weight) pitted black olives, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can vacuum-packed corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more or less, depends on hotness of chili)
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, mostly drained
- Leftover cooked turkey or chicken, diced or shredded*
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix (Jiffy brand), mixed to directions with milk and egg but not baked, or 1/2 recipe made-from-scratch cornbread batter
- Sauté onion in large frying pan.
- Add tomato sauce, olives, corn,
chili powder, kidney beans, turkey, salt and pepper.
- Turn into 8 x 12-inch baking pan.
- Top with cornbread batter; it will only partially
cover the filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes.
* If you use ground beef, use 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds and sauté with the
onion, then drain off fat.
From the kitchen of Marianna vE.