Vermont Chicken Pie
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups warm chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups peas, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, or any other vegetables, cut bite-size
- 1 pie crust (using favorite recipe)
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Whisk in flour and cook over medium heat
five minutes, whisking constantly.
- Gradually add warm stock, whisking
constantly. Stir and simmer about 20 minutes, until it is gravy-thick.
- Add pepper and thyme; salt to taste.
- Add chicken and simmer until
- Add vegetables.
- Stir in sherry.
- Pour into 2-quart casserole.
- Cover with pie crust and bake at 450 degrees F until
golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.