Baked Alaska Fudge Pie
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, pre-baked
- 3/4 cup fudge sundae topping
- 1 1/2 quarts
(6 cups) softened vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon
cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Additional fudge topping for garnish
- Chill pastry shell thoroughly. Spread fudge topping on bottom of shell. Place
ice cream into large bowl and beat with mixer until softened. Spread over fudge.
Put in freezer while preparing meringue.
- Whip egg whites in bowl until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating
until almost stiff. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy. Spread
meringue over ice cream, making sure to cover edges of pie shell to seal well.
at 450 degrees F for 3 to 4 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
top with additional fudge.
- Place in freezer until ready to serve.
Pie can be made ahead, frozen, wrapped and held for several days. Brown
just before serving.
To serve flaming, ignite 1 to 2 tablespoons brandy or rum and pour over pie.