Burnt Caramel Pie
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, scalded
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, baked
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar evenly in a 10-inch cast iron skillet; place over medium
heat. Caramelize sugar by constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Remove sugar from heat; gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and flour; add to caramelized sugar mixture Beat egg yolks.
Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Return to low heat;
cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Add butter, vanilla, and pinch of salt, stirring well.
- Spoon custard into pie crust, and set aside.
- Add a pinch of salt to egg whites, and beat (at room temperature) until foamy.
Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over custard, sealing to edges.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool pie completely before serving.
Yield: about 8 servings.
Per Serving: 383 Calories; 13g Fat (29.7% calories from fat); 7g Protein;
61g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 232mg Sodium
Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat;
3 Other Carbohydrates
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.