Caribbean Key Lime Pie
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) cans flaked coconut
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed Key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Key lime rind
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Crust: To prepare crust, place coconut in thin layer on 2 (10 x 13-inch) cookie
- Toast coconut at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
Stir frequently, and watch carefully. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 250 degrees F.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, then slowly beat in superfine
sugar until completely dissolved. Fold in cooled coconut. Press this mixture into
greased 9-inch pie place and bake for 7 minutes until set. Remove from oven and
- Filling: Blend together sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime rind and rum
in large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks. Gently mix in sour cream to combine
well. Pour into cooled crust. Swirl meringue over top of filling. Bake at 350 degrees
F for 20 minutes or until meringue is nicely browned. Cool, then chill at least
30 minutes before serving.
- Meringue: Beat egg whites in large mixing bowl until soft peaks are formed. Gradually
beat in sugar until whites are stiff, but not dry, making sure the sugar is dissolved.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.