Colonial Innkeeper's Pie
My Mother-in-law gave this to me years ago. I think she got it from the local newspaper.
- 1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Melt chocolate in water. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add shortening, milk and vanilla extract.
Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and beat. Pour batter into pie shell.
- Stir chocolate sauce and pour carefully over batter.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.
Posted by jerseyjan at recipegoldmine.com.