Fort Knox Pie
- 2 cups chocolate wafers crumbs
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 ounce unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups whipped cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 22 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Crust: Combine cookie crumbs, pecans and melted butter. Press into
a 9-inch pie pan and up sides to form high rim.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Filling: In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatine over water; let stand 1 minute.
Stir over low heat until completely dissolved. Stir in 1 cup cream. Bring to a boiling point. Add to blender with chocolate. Process until chocolate is melted. While processing, add 1/2 cup cream, eggs and vanilla extract; process until blended. Pour into bowl and chill until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine caramels, 1/4 cup cream and butter. Simmer, stirring
occasionally, until caramels are melted. Pour onto crust.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- With whisk or spoon, beat gelatine mixture until smooth. Pour into crust: chill until firm.