Gianduia Pie (Nutella Pie)
This no-bake pie combines whipped cream and Nutella, a chocolate-and-hazelnut
paste readily available at most supermarkets, for a mousse-like filling with a sophisticated
- 22 Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 1/2 cup toasted and skinned hazelnuts*
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* To toast and skin hazelnuts, place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F
until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove the nuts, cool slightly and wrap them in a kitchen
towel. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the skins.
- 3/4 cup toasted and skinned hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (13 ounce) jar Nutella
- Crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, place cookies and nuts and process until finely ground. Add melted butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract and pulse to moisten cookie mixture. Press the mixture evenly across the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and all the way up the sides of the pan, packing it tightly with your fingertips so it is even and compacted.
- Bake until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
- Filling: In a food processor, add nuts and chop finely. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, whip the cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 of the whipped cream with the Nutella. Stir until smooth. Gently fold Nutella mixture back into the remaining whipped cream. Fold in the reserved hazelnuts. Scrape the filling into the prepared pie shell and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 6 hours.
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 641 calories (percent of calories from fat, 69), 8 grams protein,
47 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 49 grams fat, 78 milligrams cholesterol,
283 milligrams sodium