Grandma's Brown Sugar Pie
Crust and Filling
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 reserved egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Crust and Filling: In an unbaked 9-inch pie shell, stir in with your fingers 4 egg yolks (reserve whites).
- Add one 12 ounce can evaporated milk, pouring it over the yolks. Then stir in, with fingers, the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Mix the 1 cup (packed) of brown sugar with the 2 tablespoons flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle it evenly into the egg/milk mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour or until custard filling is done.
- Meringue: Take the reserved egg whites and add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating till stiff, glossy peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over hot pie, sealing to the edges and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden.
- Let cool before serving.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 30, 2001.