Jim's Key Lime Pie
- 1 (10-inch) Graham cracker crust (may use 8-inch, but will have some filling left over
- 2 cans Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks*
- 1/4 teaspoon lime oil*
- 1 cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice, separated
- 1 package unflavored gelatine
- Mix together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and lime oil until blended.
Add 3/4 cup lime juice to mixture. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup lime juice in microwave until piping hot. Whisk gelatine
into hot lime juice, making sure there are no lumps. Add gelatine mixture to the
pie filling with electric mixer on high speed. Mix until all ingredients are blended
- Pour into crust and chill at least four hours or until set.
- Add whipped topping and serve. Or, if you love meringue, use the egg whites and
3 tablespoons granulated sugar and beat until peaks form.
- Top with meringue, and bake at 400 degrees F until meringue is golden brown.
Submitted to Recipegoldmine.com by Jim Dunevent, Georgia, USA.
* Don't worry about the raw egg yolks. The lime juice will cook those for
you. You can get the lime oil from a pharmacy, specialty baking store or (where
I found it) on line at suttonsbaytrading.com. I am not affiliated with this web
site. Just a great place to buy oils and other baking needs.
You can omit the lime oil, but if you want the best Key lime pie that you have
ever had, use it. To me it is worth the trouble to find it.
Photo credit: Nathan Lemon on Unsplash
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Miscellaneous Pie Recipes