Peanut Butter Meringue Pie
- 3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 prepared 9-inch pie shell
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Filling: Beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer until thick and lemon colored.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to egg yolks and beat until creamy. Stir
in milk and peanut butter.
- Transfer to top of double boiler or saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the pudding has thickened and the peanut butter has blended into the mixture. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat the egg whites and water with an electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually adding sugar, continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over filling, making sure to spread slightly onto crimped edge of pie crust to seal filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until meringue is light brown.