- 1 (16 ounce) box hot roll mix
- 1 pound bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions through the kneading step. cover; let dough rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain off fat, reserving 1 tablespoon fat in skillet.
- Add mushrooms, onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Drain off any liquid.
- Stir in pizza sauce.
- In a small bowl beat together egg and water; set aside.
- Grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- On a lightly floured surface roll three-fourths of the dough into a 15-inch circle. Fit into the bottom and press up the sides of the springform pan.
- Sprinkle bottom of dough with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella or provolone cheese.
- Spoon meat mixture over cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over meat. Press lightly into meat filling.
- On a lightly floured surface roll remaining dough into a 9-inch circle; place on top of meat-cheese mixture. Fold bottom dough over top dough; pinch to seal.
- Brush top of pie with egg-water mixture; allow to dry 5 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, score top of pie in a diamond pattern, but do not cut all the way through the dough.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- To serve, use a small spatula or table knife to loosen pie from sides of pan. Remove sides of pan; cut into wedges.
Yield: 8 main dish servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.