- 1 (16 ounce) box hot roll mix
- 1 pound bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red sweet
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded
smoked mozzarella or provolone cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions through the kneading step.
cover; let dough rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain off
fat, reserving 1 tablespoon fat in skillet.
- Add mushrooms, onion, red pepper and
garlic. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Drain off any liquid.
- Stir in pizza sauce.
- In a small bowl beat together egg and water; set aside.
- Grease bottom and sides
of a 9-inch springform pan.
- On a lightly floured surface roll three-fourths of the
dough into a 15-inch circle. Fit into the bottom and press up the sides of the springform
- Sprinkle bottom of dough with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella or provolone cheese.
- Spoon meat mixture over cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over meat. Press lightly
into meat filling.
- On a lightly floured surface roll remaining dough into a 9-inch circle; place
on top of meat-cheese mixture. Fold bottom dough over top dough; pinch to seal.
- Brush top of pie with egg-water mixture; allow to dry 5 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, score top of pie in a diamond pattern, but do not cut all
the way through the dough.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- To serve, use a small spatula or table knife to loosen pie from sides of pan.
Remove sides of pan; cut into wedges.
Makes 8 main dish servings.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.