Shrimply Delicious Quiche
This is a favorite recipe from the National Marine Fisheries Service.
- 3/4 pound raw, peeled and de-veined shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- Thaw shrimp if frozen. Add salt to water and bring to a boil. Place shrimp in
boiling water; cook 30 seconds. Drain. Rinse under cold running water for 1 to 2
minutes. Remove any remaining particles of sand vein. Chop shrimp.
- Cook mushrooms and scallions in butter until tender, but not brown.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half, salt and dry mustard; beat until smooth.
- Layer half
of the rock shrimp, half of the mushroom mixture and half of the mozzarella cheese
in each pie shell.
- Pour half of the egg mixture into each pie shell.
- Bake at 425
degrees F for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 300 degrees F and continue to bake for
30 minutes or until knife when inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand
for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.