Blueberry Lattice Slab Pie
This classic dessert just got a whole lot easier. Blueberry Lattice Slab Pie offers all the tastes you crave – bursting with buttery, juicy, sweet-tart flavor – without the effort that goes into the traditional recipe. You can make your own crust, or save time by buying one pre-made. No matter how you slice it, you get a bluetiful bunch of pie for your bunch.
If your pan has a slightly different dimension, this recipe will still work.
National Blueberry Pie Day is April 28!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup water; stir into flour mixture until dough comes together, adding up to 1 tablespoon water if needed.
- Form dough into 2 balls and flatten each into large rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss together blueberries, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt; set aside.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water; set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out 1 portion of dough between 2 large sheets of parchment paper, lightly dusted with flour, into 12- x 17-inch rectangle. Peel off top parchment paper. Place onto 10 x 15-inch baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press pastry onto bottom and up side of pan. Refrigerate until needed.
- Roll out remaining portion of dough between parchment paper, lightly dusted with flour, into 12 x 17-inch rectangle. Remove top piece of parchment paper. To make lattice top, cut 1/2-inch wide strips diagonally using pastry cutter or sharp knife (refrigerate for about 10 minutes if dough is too soft).
- Spoon blueberry filling over pastry on baking sheet. Working quickly, place half of the pastry strips across pan diagonally. Weave remaining strips with first set of strips to form lattice pattern, trimming edges to fit pan. Pinch edges of crust together to seal, fluting or crimping edges, and tucking under pastry, if needed. Brush with egg wash.
- Combine coarse sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Let cool completely on rack.
- Cut into squares.
Prep: 5 min | Total: 1 hr 50 min | Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition Per Serving: Daily Value % Calories 510 Total Fat 28g 36% Saturated Fat 16g 80% Cholesterol 225mg 75% Sodium 110mg 5% Total Carbohydrates 59g 21% Dietary Fiber 3g 11% Total Sugars 21g Added Sugars 15g 30% Protein 7g 14% Vitamin D 1mcg 5% Calcium 43mg 3% Iron 3mg 17% Potassium 125mg 3% Vitamin A 254mcg 28% Vitamin C 6mg 7%
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
US Highbush Blueberry Council
Created by Renata Stanko for America’s Best Blueberry Pie Contest