Cranberry Meringue Slab Pie
Finding the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors, this dessert uses cranberry
sauce in the filling and a creamy meringue topping to provide a refreshing finish
to any holiday meal.
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts, (2 crusts)
- 1 2/3 cups sugar,
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup 100% cranberry juice
- 6 large eggs, yolks
and whites separated
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon
McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cream of Tartar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring crusts to room temperature according to package directions.
- Unroll pie crusts. Press crusts onto bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
Fold edges of crust under and press together to form a thick crust edge. Press seams
of overlapping crusts in middle of baking dish together to seal. Pierce crusts with
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 cup of the sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan.
- Gradually stir in cranberry juice with wire whisk until well blended.
- Whisk in 6 egg yolks and cranberry sauce until well blended. (Some lumps may
remain.) Whisking occasionally, bring to boil on medium heat. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in extract.
- Pour hot filling into baked pie crust. Cool on wire rack.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight until chilled and set.
- For the Meringue, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Beat 6 egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy.
- Mix remaining 2/3 cup sugar and cream of tartar in small bowl.
- Gradually add sugar mixture to egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue evenly over cranberry-filled pie, sealing edges of crust.
- Bake for 4 to 6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
25 mins Prep time
40 mins Cook time
For best results, top and bake with meringue just before serving.
Nutrition information (Amount per serving) Calories: 312 Cholesterol: 74mg
Sodium: 161mg Protein: 3g Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Fiber: 0g Carbohydrate:
Photo credit: Julie Gransee from Lovely Little Kitchen.
Recipe and photo credit:
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slab Pie Recipes