Cranberry Meringue Slab Pie
Finding the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors, this Cranberry Meringue Slab Pie uses cranberry sauce in the filling and a creamy meringue topping to provide a refreshing finish to any holiday meal.
For best results, top and bake with meringue just before serving.
- 1 (14.1 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts, (2 crusts)
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup 100% cranberry juice
- 6 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 (14 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cream of Tartar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring crusts to room temperature according to package directions.
- Unroll pie crusts. Press crusts onto bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Fold edges of crust under and press together to form a thick crust edge. Press seams of overlapping crusts in middle of baking dish together to seal. Pierce crusts with a fork.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 cup of the sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan.
- Gradually stir in cranberry juice with wire whisk until well blended.
- Whisk in 6 egg yolks and cranberry sauce until well blended. (Some lumps may remain.) Whisking occasionally, bring to boil on medium heat. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in extract.
- Pour hot filling into baked pie crust. Cool on wire rack.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight until chilled and set.
- For the Meringue, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Beat 6 egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy.
- Mix remaining 2/3 cup sugar and cream of tartar in small bowl.
- Gradually add sugar mixture to egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue evenly over cranberry-filled pie, sealing edges of crust.
- Bake for 4 to 6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Servings: 16 | Prep: 25 min | Cook: 40 min
Nutrition information (Amount per serving) Calories: 312 Cholesterol: 74mg Sodium: 161mg Protein: 3g Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Fiber: 0g Carbohydrate: 57g
Photo credit: Julie Gransee from Lovely Little Kitchen
Recipe and photo used with permission from: